[ExI] the next big thing

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 01:37:36 UTC 2009

2009/4/22 Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com>:

> --- On Tue, 4/21/09, painlord2k at libero.it <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
>> But the "big thing" will be the ability to monitor the body
>> and its functions / states. What I see is something like the
>> BodyBug, but on steroids and implantable. This could very
>> well melt with the implantable cellphone immediately or
>> after.
>>
>> The BodyBug and other similar devices (like the Fitbit)
>> satisfy another need / want of the people: awareness of
>> their body conditions and feedback. A continuous feedback
>> beat a sporadic feedback in usefulness.
>
> A lot of monitoring can be done now.  I wonder if there are many healthy people out there who opt for some sort of frequent >or even continuous body monitoring.  (Certainly, a lot of life extensionists do routine blood testing that goes beyond just >checking cholesterol levels.)  It's be interesting because of the data that could be gained from a a decent population of such >people.

Again, I say it's the comms network (the internet + mobiles + etc)
that is the real big thing here. Monitoring your own body functions is
interestingish maybe but not that big a deal. Aggregations of
biometric data gathered in realtime from large populations, you'd
think that might revolutionise medicine (more).

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related
http://point7.wordpress.com - ranting