[ExI] climategate again

Max More max at maxmore.com
Tue Dec 1 16:19:20 UTC 2009

Alfio:
>Folks, this is getting silly. Temperature series (including CRU,
>GISTEMP etc.) are mostly based on public data fom the GHCN (Global
>Historical Climate Network) and from the US Historical Climate
>Network. Link to ftp files:

I've been wondering about that. I haven't resolved the issue to my
satisfaction yet, but here's a different view from yours:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/11/30/pielke-senior-revkin-perpetuates-a-myth-about-surface-temperature-record/#more-13451
Excerpt:

>On the weblog
><http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/more-on-the-climate-files-and-climate-trends/>Dot
>Earth today, there is text from Michael Schlesinger, a climatologist
>at the University of Illinois, that presents analyses of long term
>surface  temperature trends from NASA, NCDC and Japan as if these
>are from independent sets of data from the analysis of CRU.  Andy
>Revkin is perpetuating this myth in this write-up by not presenting
>the real fact that these analyses draw from the same  original raw
>data.  While they may use only a subset of this raw data, the
>overlap has been estimated as about 90-95%.
>
>The unresolved problems with this surface data (which, of course,
>applies to all four locations) is reported in the peer reviewed paper

Also:
http://pielkeclimatesci.wordpress.com/2009/11/28/further-comment-on-the-surface-temperature-data-used-in-the-cru-giss-and-ncdc-analyses/

On top of this, I've yet to adequately verify or refute claims that
80% of the 0.6 C rise in global temps over the last century is
actually due to highly dubious adjustments (a la CRU) to the raw
data. For instance: not only ignoring the urban heat island effect,
but adjusting it the opposite way from what makes sense. (That would
be such a serious error that I have a hard time believing even the
global catastrophists would do it.)

I'm feeling pretty lonely on this issue. Just about everyone on all
sides of the issue seem to be very certain of what's going on.
Despite considerable reading of clashing sources (or because of it),
I remain highly unsure.

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher