[ExI] climategate again

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 10:38:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:52 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>        ...On Behalf Of John Clark
>        Subject: Re: [ExI] climategate again
>

>        >Incredible, a century's worth of raw climate data destroyed!
>

>Ja, but I noticed something interesting.  The media debate seems to be all

> about recognizing the leaked info, but reinforcing that global warming is
> still real.  OK I buy that, I agree that the planet is warming.  But the
> critical part is this: we don't know by how much.

Folks, this is getting silly. Temperature series (including CRU, GISTEMP
etc.) are mostly based on public data fom the GHCN (Global Historical
Climate Network) and from the US Historical Climate Network. Link to ftp
files:

ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ghcn/v2
ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ushcn/v2/monthly/

More data sources:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/data-sources/

That CRU decided to delete some of their files has little impact. They
didn't measure those temperatures, they asked various national
meteorological institutes for them, and obtained a copy. This data, should
the need arise, is still with those institutes. But if you look at what's
available on public ftp sites, it's just a drop in the sea.

Alfio