[ExI] pat condell's latest subtle rant

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Dec 5 06:41:06 UTC 2009

Max ends up asking

 > Am I a just a weak fool to do this? Is Condell's attitude and approach
 > always useful/appropriate/effective/wise?

Condell's message WAS to the choir; of course.

Yes, it was just for us, and many of those things he
said would be in extremely poor taste to deploy in
a discussion with a believer. Not to mention ineffective.
Not to mention the whole acerbic manner that you
describe well.

However, I believe that what he spoke was more than
mere entertainment and more than (as you put it) giving
some of us a kick in the pants. What he said he did believe
to be the truth, and it gives every one of us (in the
choir) a chance to calibrate our own beliefs against his,
while listening to such a screed.

For example, I got to think about what "righteous" meant
(and to incidentally conclude that Pat hasn't looked up
the meaning lately, or thinks that everyone is going to
knee-jerk take the Christian/Jewish religious meaning).

 > I intend to discuss [the book recommended]
 > with my brother exploratively rather than
 > explaining abruptly to him why his decades-
 > long religious beliefs are moronic.

Of course.

Kindness, civility, and even honesty demand
this approach. I don't have such a high opinion
of people who enter into every discussion with
an interlocutor 100% convinced that their own
position is 100% true, and that the other's is
necessarily nonsense or worse.

Lee