[ExI] we die alone while ogling the divers

David C. Harris dharris at livelib.com
Sat Dec 5 12:09:28 UTC 2009

spike wrote:
> If you have drowning dreams very often it might indicate sleep apnea, so you
> need to see the medics about that.

For over a decade I was acting out dream material, like hitting the
bedside telephone, kicking, or making distressed sounds.  The worst was
grabbing my girlfriend's neck as she slept -- a serious faux pas in
dating etiquette!  She was also bothered by my serious snoring and
eventually noticed that I stopped breathing frequently.  I got a medical
referral to a sleep clinic where they diagnosed severe obstructive sleep
apnea, going as low as 75% oxygen saturation.  Apparently I wasn't
taking enough time to establish deep sleep with the normal paralysis of
the voluntary muscles during dreams.  Now I have a CPAP (constant
pressure airway passage) machine that blows my throat open when I relax
and I am catching up on long dreams.  Life is better with adequate deep
sleep.   :-)