[ExI] Tolerance

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 02:47:57 UTC 2009

2009/12/8 Post Futurist <p0stfuturist at yahoo.com>

> putting aside the metaphysics involved, I can think of one practical reason
> right off the bat to respect-- but not necessarily like-- religion.
> Say there was no religious prohibition on adultery. Then more husbands than
> would otherwise cheat on their wives, more families would eventually break
> up, the wives and children get on welfare, and libertarians have more lazy
> people to complain about who don't take care of their children. We can't
> have that *:)*

That, in fact, is wrong.

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistfamiliesmarriage/a/AtheistsDivorce.htm

>From a 1999 Barna Research Group study (a religious group I believe):

11% of all American adults are divorced
25% of all American adults have had at least one divorce
27% of born-again Christians have had at least one divorce
24% of all non-born-again Christians have been divorced
21% of atheists have been divorced
21% of Catholics and Lutherans have been divorced
24% of Mormons have been divorced
25% of mainstream Protestants have been divorced
29% of Baptists have been divorced
24% of nondenominational, independent Protestants have been divorced
27% of people in the South and Midwest have been divorced
26% of people in the West have been divorced
19% of people in the Northwest and Northeast have been divorced

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related
http://point7.wordpress.com - ranting