[ExI] Tolerance

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Fri Dec 11 18:17:33 UTC 2009

Il 11/12/2009 18.05, Stefano Vaj ha scritto:
> 2009/12/11 Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it

> Why, things obviously happen to exhibit a perverse consistency,

The "obvious" is the problem.
It is obvious to you because you are trained to think so and probably
near all your education (like mine) support this and experience
(filtrated by education) confirm it.
For other fellow humans it is not so obvious. They believe in one or
many capricious gods or spirits that must be pleased or bribed.
Do major religions like Buddhism or Hinduism believe there is a set of
immutable laws governing humans, gods, spirits and the nature?

> because
> as a good atheist/neopagan/idealist/skeptic/whatever, I am inclined on
> the contrary to believe that "natural laws" have nothing to do with
> immutable decrees of an entity (be it God, or even "Mother Nature")
> establishing how things must go, in more or less the same fashion the
> human legislators try and regulate social affairs, but simply with our
> way of understanding and describing how they actually do...

The existence of God is not a problem, we could agree that it doesn't
exist, for the sake of the discussion.
What I was trying to discus is the effect of believing in a specific
type of God. A god that set laws, never change them and made them so
they are understandable.
In this, he set an high standard for human legislators as human laws
always change and are not always understandable from other humans (and
often from the same legislators). It occur to me that many legislators
don't know the laws they enact and are surprised and outraged when
someone ask them if they have red the text of the law before enacting it
(as recent episodes in the US show - but surely Italy and other places
are not so different).

> So, while I think that adopting one view or the other is more of a
> philosophical stance than a matter of fact, I am needless to say much
> more at ease with the Greek (say, Eraklit or Democritus) than with the
> biblical worldview (say, the Genesis or Saint Thomas). And I suspect
> that modern science and epistemology, especially since the quantum
> mechanics revolution, have an easier and more elegant coexistence with
> the former.

 From my, very limited, understanding of QM I think it is entirely
compatible with Christian views.
Albeit I can not know what atomic nucleus will be the next to naturally
decade, I know the probability of this to happen in a time period and it
will not change.

Could be interesting to ask some Odinist what their religion say about this.

Mirco