[ExI] Tolerance

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 17:05:07 UTC 2009

2009/12/11 Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it>

> This, in change, limited their ability think in terms that we give for
> granted.
> For example, the belief that unchanging natural laws exist and can be
> discovered was not their. This came with Christianity, where God is
> described as a creator that follows its own laws.

Why, things obviously happen to exhibit a perverse consistency, because as a
good atheist/neopagan/idealist/skeptic/whatever, I am inclined on the
contrary to believe that "natural laws" have nothing to do with immutable
decrees of an entity (be it God, or even "Mother Nature") establishing how
things must go, in more or less the same fashion the human legislators try
and regulate social affairs, but simply with our way of understanding and
describing how they actually do...

So, while I think that adopting one view or the other is more of a
philosophical stance than a matter of fact, I am needless to say much more
at ease with the Greek (say, Eraklit or Democritus) than with the biblical
worldview (say, the Genesis or Saint Thomas). And I suspect that modern
science and epistemology, especially since the quantum mechanics revolution,
have an easier and more elegant coexistence with the former.

--
Stefano Vaj