[ExI] Atheism

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 04:59:56 UTC 2009

2009/12/11 Post Futurist <p0stfuturist at yahoo.com>

> In what way is the slop ladled out in churches worse today than on TV, in skools, etc?

What's wrong with church teachings is that they're based on mysticism,
faith, dogma, fear, and obedience, not critical thinking, open
mindedness, and rationality. TV is entertainment, education, religion,
... everything anyone does. Some of it is good and healthy, some of it
is just fun, some is a waste of time, and some of it is actively
unhealthy. Schools--at least those not run by religious entities--are
generally good, focusing on the rational.

Raising children to believe in a religion, starting the indoctrination
at an age at which they haven't developed the ability to evaluate what
they're being taught, amounts to child abuse. The physical and
intellectual effort that has been wasted on teaching, learning, and
observing religious practices could have been put to much better use.
I'll grant that many great works of art have been inspired by
religion, but I think most of those talents would have been expressed
equally well on non-religious subjects. But the great minds that were
wasted pursuing idiotic theological problems could have solved real,
major problems. I think that's tragic.

-Dave