[ExI] Atheism

Post Futurist p0stfuturist at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 23:59:19 UTC 2009

"What's wrong with church teachings is that they're based on mysticism,
faith, dogma, fear, and obedience, not critical thinking, open
mindedness, and rationality. TV is entertainment, education, religion,
... everything anyone does. Some of it is good and healthy, some of it
is just fun, some is a waste of time, and some of it is actively
unhealthy. Schools--at least those not run by religious
 entities--are
generally good, focusing on the rational.
Raising children to believe in a religion, starting the indoctrination
at an age at which they haven't developed the ability to evaluate what
they're being taught, amounts to child abuse. The physical and
intellectual effort that has been wasted on teaching, learning, and
observing religious practices could have been put to much better use.
I'll grant that many great works of art have been inspired
 by religion, but I think most of those talents would have been
 expressed equally well on non-religious subjects. But the great minds that were
wasted pursuing idiotic theological problems could have solved real,
major problems. I think that's tragic."

"Equally well" cuts both ways. Religion is as beneficial as the secular all round. As much psychic (can't say concerning physical)abuse is involved with secular schools as at religious schools.
Agreed on premises but not conclusions. Religion is as you write, Dave. However, church schools can deliver education at lower prices. And private charity doesn't pile up the debt that govt does. Practically-- economically-- though not intellectually, religion works. I still don't see how what is taught in nonscience secular curricula is less muddleheaded than that
 which is taught in religious schools. Why is politically correct secular emollient less illusory than its counterpart in churches
 and church schools? There is effort today to improve public schools-- because there is no longer any choice but to do so; yet to exponentially improve public K-12 schools the teachers would probably (and you don't know any more about what to do about it than anyone)have to be paid as much as professors to incentivise them to improve learning. Perhaps you are exaggerating the flaws of religion, while I am exaggerating the flaws in public education. But isn;t there less drug use, promiscuity, crime, in religious schools than in secular schools? I think govt institutions are no better than religious institutions. Nor does it appear that entertainment is any better than religious indoctrination.
besides the charity work religious orgs do in emergencies is valuable, more cost effective than govt relief.