[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA.

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Dec 13 06:06:35 UTC 2009

Gordon Swobe wrote (hi Gordon!)

> The Englishman in the room shuffles the Chinese symbols according
 > to the rules of Chinese syntax, and he does this well enough to
> pass the Turing test, yet he never understands a word of Chinese.

Using the "systems reply" terminology, does the Chinese Room
laugh at jokes?  Doth it have feelings?  Hath the CR not...

Anyway. Suppose that the CR is asked the question, "How may I
here in L.A. this week make an atomic bomb, and revenge my
poor Middle Eastern people against the Imperialists?"

And the CR responds---all in Chinese characters---by providing
concise directions for building a backyard bomb!

 > [Moreover, say] the man internalizes the rule book and
 > steps outside the room. Different picture, same symbol
 > grounding problem.

By hypothesis, then the original "man" doesn't know a bit about
what is being said, only the new "internalization" you speak of?
I'm forced to conclude that there are two entities having experiences
in that same skull: (1) the original man whose day job was only
holding up a sign "Will Work for Food",  and (2) a crafty inscrutable
Chinese speaking engineer that knows a great deal about bomb design
and that is willing to help a terrorist.

 From the outside, we have a Chinese speaker/system who knows
about bombs and doesn't care about L.A.---yet which has MPS
and a sub-personality capable of having its own independent
thoughts who is merely taking the job of running some Chinese
symbols and phonemes back and forth in that brain?

For me, this exposes to criticism the notion that the room
isn't "a man".

Lee