[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 08:06:43 UTC 2009

2009/12/13 Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com>:

> By hypothesis, then the original "man" doesn't know a bit about
> what is being said, only the new "internalization" you speak of?
> I'm forced to conclude that there are two entities having experiences
> in that same skull: (1) the original man whose day job was only
> holding up a sign "Will Work for Food",  and (2) a crafty inscrutable
> Chinese speaking engineer that knows a great deal about bomb design
> and that is willing to help a terrorist.

That's how it is. In a normal brain a thinking entity supervenes on
the behaviour of non-thinking entities, the neurons. In the CR a
thinking entity supervenes on the behaviour of another thinking
entity, the man in the room. There's no reason why *adding*
consciousness at the lower level should eliminate it at the higher
level.

--
Stathis Papaioannou