[ExI] Wernicke's aphasia and the CRA.

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 13 15:15:21 UTC 2009

Stathis (and Lee),

> In the CR a thinking entity supervenes on the behaviour of another
> thinking entity, the man in the room

No. The "internalization" in the rejoinder to the systems reply to the CRA refers only to the internalization by the man of the program and I/O ports. Instead of a physical rule-book on a bookshelf, he has a memorized look up table. Instead of slot in the door through which he receives inputs and sends outputs, he has his own ears and mouth. The internalization thus does not refer to the internalization of any other "thinking entity".

Searle's systems reply critics had argued (with perfect logic, even if they missed the point) that while the man inside lacks understanding, it does not follow that the room also lacks understanding. After all the man inside is not the subject that passes the Turing test. The room is!

So Searle replied, "Well then forget about the Chinese room and all its trappings (I only put that stuff there to help you visualize what's going on) and let the Englishman inside memorize the program. He then steps outside the room and takes the TT in Chinese. He passes it, yet he still does not understand Chinese."

-gts