[ExI] Effing and Privacy

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Dec 20 21:09:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 01:43:43PM -0700, Brent Allsop wrote:

> Absolutely.  We've already experienced something very similar to all
> this when computers first started communicating on the internet.  We
> very quickly, after most all of our computers got terribly infected, had

That is not a very good way to describe what happened. The first serious
incident was the Morris worm. It happened because there was a transition
from a small trusted network to a large untrusted one. We have immune
systems now. The fitness function currently does not penalize parasite-infested
hosts very much, though.

> to come up with security measures to  have control over things.  Surely
> similar problems and solutions will develop once we start developing
> abilities to merge phenomenal spaces, getting ever better at reading
> others brains, and so on.  The experience with computers the first time,

There will always remain distinct individuals. Different sizes and
complexities, but distinct individuals. We're superorganisms as far
as individual cells are concerned, but there are still single-cell
organisms out there. The bulk of the biomass is not complex critters
as us. There's no reason why a power law distribution won't still hold.
The domain is not that different, if you look at fundamental constraints
of this universe.

> and cautions being provided by people like you, will surely help us do a
> much better job the second, much more important time around.
>
> I'll hug most everyone, but surely most would be more selective as to
> who they would share and eff what they're feeling during such hugs, and
> so on.

There's not a lot of choice. It's less what you want to do, it's more
what you have to do in order to stay around. This is no different from now.

> But what does everyone imagine the ultimate end situation or ultimate
> goal as being?  Would it be everyone merged into the same phenomenal

Same as before. What is our ultimate goal right now? There isn't a
an explicitly defined one.

> awareness space with everyone experiencing, effing, and knowing
> everything?  Or how much would we half to isolated, hide, or how much of

You cannot know anything larger than you can contain. Your invididual
cells have no idea you even wrote that message.

> our sharing would have to be cut out and destroyed, before things were
> perfect?

What does perfect even mean?

> I'm in the pefection would be when we don't destroy any communications
> or don't hide much of anything from anyone camp.

Try to not be disappointed too much.