[ExI] Belief in Market Efficiency

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 18:09:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 6:50 PM, painlord2k at libero.it
<painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
> I don't like the idea of "money as debt", I prefer the idea of "money as a
> commodity", in particular "money as gold".

Sure. Nobody is implying that you believe yourself to be living in the
best possible world, or that the system in place is by any means
aligned with your ideas... :-)

> And, in fact, leftist statism and rightist statism all argue about "helping
> the poor", "the workers" and others groups. They only change how these
> groups are identified.

It is however undeniable that a rightist statism exists that argue in
favour of "helping the rich" (under some other rhetorical definition,
of course), including when the latter find themselves in such a
position not because they are the winners of some "no-barrels hold"
social competition, but because they are *shielded* therefrom.

What I am trying to say here is that there are at least a few
occurrences where in fact criticisms of dubious accumulation of wealth
and privileges are justifiable also from a libertarian point of view,
and defences thereof are not.

The fact, for instance, that social mobility is currently *decreasing*
in contemporary societies in comparison with other, theoretically less
"market-oriented", eras, should give us food for thought.

--
Stefano Vaj