[ExI] government corruption

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 18:41:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:21 AM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> < Large banks are an especially bad kind of large company. Federal law is
> incredibly biased in favor of large banks. IMO, it's quite accurate to
> characterize large banks as quasi-states, rather than private firms. Or
> perhaps integral parts of the federal government. The fact that certain
> banks have been characterized as "too large" to allow to fail is a clear
> illustration of the difference between large banks and private firms. >
>
> Is this all due to the omnipresence, omnipotence and firepower of
> governments?

### Yes! :)

Maybe so, but it might also be a function of *massive size in
> any enterprise* overwhelming all the processes hunter gatherers are evolved
> to employ in close-knit groups of 100 or so--unless an extraordinary and
> insightful and ceaselessly scrutiny is brought to bear.

### The scrutiny of the market is all you need. If you had a good PPP
(private protection provider) you could just tell the evil bank to go
screw themselves but since your protection provider and the bank are a
part of the same extortion racket (most recently to the tune of 700
billion dollars from your and my pockets), the free market is not as
free as it should be, and you are screwed, proving the general point
that non-segmented networks like governments are bad.

Rafal