[ExI] government corruption & Transhumanism

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Thu Feb 26 01:13:01 UTC 2009

Il 25/02/2009 4.58, G P SINGH ha scritto:

> I want to assert it in light of transhumanism. The measurement of
> corruption is theoretically not possible by statistics because it is a
> crime. And crime is by definition secret.

Not exactly. Only a perfect crime is secret and there is no secret crime.

> So corruption is not measurable.

Not directly. Not easily.

 > In this context role of transhumanist philosophy would be
> twofold (you can suggest three or four or ....)
> 1. How can we measure corruption by means of science and technology ?
> 2. How can we reduce so called corruption by means of S&T?

This is a very complex question.
For one, we need to understand that corruption (when a private offer a
benefit to obtain something he has no right to have or the public
official offer to do something it is against his duty) are difficult to
monitor because people try to hide them and the victims are not the
corrupter or the corrupter but a third party.

> Answering to second question brings me to rafal, can there be a genetic
> cause of corruption ? If yes then genetic therapy can solve this
> problem. Or can we find innovative use of punishment for example
> assigning a social anti-corruption rank to each node in social network.
> And then reward the least corrupt node. Here i am using the existing
> hierarchy conscious approach of cultures to reduce corruption.

Corruption can be defined as obtaining a benefit from a public official
that is against his/her duty in exchange of some utilities.
Utilities is not only money, but also help in some other matters.

What could help to reduce / prevent corruption?
Surely a way to reduce corruption is to reduce the power the public
officials have. If they have no power or not enough power it will reduce
the instances where other people will try to corrupt them or they will
try to sell themselves. From another point of view, with less power, the
public officials will not have the power to get away with their crime
when discovered with ease.

When power reduction is not wanted or possible, true transparency is
needed. For example, public officials could be required to wear tamper
proof recorders of what they say, hear and see, all the time, and the
records would be publicly available for all to see. And when I say all
the time, I intend 24h/7d, not a second lost, no privacy, no intimacy.

Another way to reduce corruption is to let recording equipment become so
small and unobtrusive that people can wear it all the time and record
continually. It would make dangerous to propose a bribe, or accept one,
if whatever you say or do can be recorded against your will.

Another way to reduce corruption is to select people so the most
corruptible are selected against.
This is how, in many cases, not all, work the Catholics Church.
Priests must accept early votes of celibacy (no spouse, no sons or
daughters) so they have no reasons to accumulate wealth for their
offspring nor they can leave wealth to illicit offsprings. The prospect
to become rich and powerful are very, very small. So, many people are
deterred to become priests or monks. Then from these it is possible to
start a selection and give them more power.
Eunuchs in China and in other places (India, Turkey) were used in the
same way. Without children and the ability to reproduce, they were less
prone to betray their duties).

The problem in genetically selecting people that is incorruptible is
that they need a very strong determination to respect rules they could
think are wrong or stupid and to be impervious to personal gains (even
indirect ones) or the damage they could do following them. What happen
when incorruptible people are leaded by someone with an agenda, like
Hitler or Mother Theresa?

You would need people with a lower degree of empathy, lower degree of
selfishness, higher motivation to follow rules imposed from an higher
authority even if the motives or consequences of the rules are unknown
or disliked. I would say that they would be perfect SS soldiers so it
would be very dangerous to select for these traits only without
understanding how they will behave in real life and hand them real power.

Mirco