[ExI] government corruption

Dagon Gmail dagonweb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 15:50:14 UTC 2009

I for one don't get a few things - we have globalism, so import duties are
not sound business sense. Its
always going to bite. But what if ...

- when importing goods the US determines the effective difference in price
the same goods goods are, whether
or not they manufactured by american workers in americam or chinese workers
in china. In other words, an
identical salad spinner costs 20$ to make in the US and 5$ to make in china,
and another 3 to import. The
difference is in part calculated to be worth no more than 7$ due to low
wages in China (the rest being lax
industry standards or efficiency or ruthlessness) - Now the US determines
that this 7$ is unfair worker benefit
and levies a tax. Now the great thing is - *the US doesn't get to keep it*.
They send it back, at minimal (<3%)
overhead in administrative costs, and give it NOT to the chinese government
but only, and exclusively, to the
chinese workers that made the salad spinners. Everybody wins - the rackets
are still cheaper, american workers
get a better competition position, chinese people get extra money and
chinese economy becomes stronger.

In fact - I see actions like these are nothing but extensions of fair free
market practices. People in spot A suffer
in competitiveness because they have succeeded in not living like slaves.
People in spot B get more money
and become, hopefully, somewhat less like slaves. Call it a unfair human
exploitation tariff. If the Chinese object,
dump rthe money in the coffers of independent chinese worker unions. Best
part is rich countries can implement
this measure and benefit themselves AS WELL as producing countries. Worst
case, spoiled obese idiots get
slightly more expensive salad spinners.