[ExI] government corruption

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Sat Feb 28 03:05:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 07:09 -0800, spike wrote:

> I am surprised it is only twice as much.  Anything American made is three
> times as much as anything made in China.  Those life expectancy lists should
> be broken down by cause of death.  Most of it likely has little or nothing
> to do with the quality of medical care.  People who are murdered should not
> be in there, nor those who slay themselves abusing drugs.  Neither of these
> are the medics' fault.  Somewhere there probably exists data on this.

Murders and deaths from drug abuse make up an almost insignificant
number of deaths in any of the OECD countries, including the US.  I
think that the major difference in the death rate between the US and
other OECD countries is heart disease (eg see
fiordiliji.sourceoecd.org/pdf/health2007/812007051-2-4.pdf )

Disclaimer: This is not an endorsement of the view that the medical
establishment of other OECD countries is better than the USA's or that
government supported medicine is better than private.