[ExI] perfect world is not - but can be fun in a group..

sam micheal micheals at msu.edu
Wed Jan 7 06:31:01 UTC 2009

i hate the difficulty of leveling there and the dependency on gold (both
cubigold and game gold) but .. it's nice to work in a group as EP (the
healer / resurrector of the group); it's nice to be needed and fulfill a
specified function in the group .. and you are killing virtual monsters
not real humans .. so i think the game is not overall a destructive
force in our society .. it actually can bring us together .. true, there
is too much pking (player killing) going on .. but i think they do that
out of boredom more than anything .. maybe boredom and frustration ..
but you just let it go - don't take it personally - and move on.. on the
Malaysian servers, u can find many ppl from around the world willing to
work together for a common goal (finding mold or killing a boss;) ..
it's cool to be part of an international team of 'monster squashers' ;)
hehe .. sigh .. there was a while when i was escaping too much into the
game .. spent way too much time on it .. neglected my 'real life' .. but
.. everything goes in phases .. it didn't last forever .. i play now
just to level and help others out .. it's fun to meet interesting ppl
from around the world :)

i hate the commercial aspects but .. it would not be there without them..

the graphics and magic capabilities (is there anything they did NOT
steal from d&d???;) are cool :)

i like pets too (in the game and irl).

i recommend it for any teenager who feels neglected or excluded irl ..
just try to moderate it (asking the impossible?) .. try to find a decent
guild..

the following is something i did for a java class - an object oriented
problem decomposition of consciousness.. robot rights! robots rock! ;)

A COnscious MAchine Simulator -- ACOMAS

Salvatore Gerard Micheal, 06/JAN/09

Objects

   2 cross verifying senses (simulated)

      hearing (stereo)

      seeing (stereo)

   short-term symbol register (8^3 symbols arranged in 8x8x8 array)

   rule-base (self verifying and extending)

   3D visualization register

   models of reality (at least 2)

   morality (unmodifiable and uncircumventable)

      don't steal, kill, lie, or harm

   goal list (modifiable, prioritized)

   output devices

      robotic arms (simulated -- 2)

      voice-synthesizer and speaker

      video display unit

   local environment (simulated)

   operator (simulated, controlled by operator)

Purpose

 test feasibility of construct for an actual conscious machine

 discover timing requirements for working prototype

 discover specifications of objects

 discover implications/consequences of enhanced intelligence

  (humans have 7 short-term symbol registers)

 discover implications/consequences of emotionless consciousness

Specifications -- The registers are the core of the device -- the
(qualified) 'controllers' of the system (acting on goal list), the
reasoners of the system (identifying rules), but all constrained by
morality. The goal list should be instantaneously modifiable. For
instance, an operator can request "show me your goal list" .. "delete
that item" or "move that item to the top" .. "learn the rules of chess"
and the device should comply immediately. Otherwise, the device plays
with its environment -- learning new rules and proposing new experiments.

The purpose of the cross verifying senses is to reinforce the 'sense of
identity' established by these, registers, and model of reality. The
reason for 'at least 2' models is to provide a 'means-ends' basis for
problem solving -- one model to represent local environment 'as is' and
another for the desired outcome of the top goal. The purpose for
arranging the short-term register in a 3D array is to give the capacity
for 'novel thought' processes (humans have a tendency to think in linear
sequential terms). The reason for designing a self verifying and
extending rule-base is because that has a tendency to be a data and
processing intensive activity -- if we designed the primary task of the
device to be a 'rule-base analyzer', undoubtedly the device would spend
the bulk of its time on related tasks (thereby creating a rule-base
analyzer device and not a conscious machine). The 'models of reality'
could be as simple as a list of objects and locations. Or, they could be
a virtual reality implemented on a dedicated machine. This applies to
the 'local environment' as well. For operator convenience, the simulated
local environment should be in the form of a virtual reality. So the
operator would interact with the device in a virtual world (in the
simulated version). In this version, the senses, robot arms, and
operator presence -- would all be virtual. This should be clarified to
the device so that any transition to 'real reality' would not have
destructive consequences.

My ultimate purpose of creating a conscious machine is not out of ego or
self aggrandizement. I simply want to see if it can be done. If it can
be done, then create something creative with potential. My mother argues
a robot can never 'procreate' because they are not 'flesh and blood'. It
can never have insight or other elusive human qualities. I argue that
they can 'procreate' in their own way and are only limited by their
creators. If we can 'distill' the essence of consciousness in a
construct (like above), if we can implement it on a set of computer
hardware and software, if we give that construct the capacity for
growth, if that construct has even a minimal creative ability (such as
with GA/GP), and critically limit its behavior by morality (such as
above), we have created a sentient being (not just an
artificial/synthetic consciousness). I focus on morality because if such
a device became widespread, undoubtedly they would be abused to perform
'unsavory' tasks which would have fatal legal consequences for inventor
and producer alike.

In this context, I propose we establish 'robot rights' before they are
developed in order to provide a framework for dealing with abuses and
'violations of law'. Now, all this may seem like science fiction to
most. But I contend we have focused far too long on what we call 'AI'
and expert systems. For too long we have blocked real progress in
machine intelligence by one of two things: mystifying 'the human animal'
(by basically saying it can't be done) -- or -- staring at an
inappropriate paradigm. It's good to understand linguistics and vision
-- without that understanding, perhaps we could not implement certain
portions of the construct above. But unless we focus on the mechanisms
of consciousness, we will never model it, simulate it, or create it
artificially.