[ExI] Unversity begins (6.001 Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, MIT OpenCourseWare)

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 12:39:57 UTC 2009

Hi all,

This is a follow up to the email asking people if they were interested
in a free online run through of the first year computer science course
6.001 Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs from MIT
OpenCourseWare, during semester 1 this year. Just to recap, I offered
to "run" it, ie: organise a group of like-minded people to all do it
at the same time, and lend some technical support and what not as
required.

Enough people have replied (enthusiastically!) that it's a go.

Tentative calendar follows the MIT academic year, and starts on Feb 2.

I've started a google group to coordinate things. If you are
interested in doing the course, please join the group and say hi.
http://groups.google.com.au/group/unversity-chat

Also there is some info there about how I'm thinking of running
things. Note the possibly cringeworthy name Unversity. I'm trying to
hint that my long term aim is higher than just running one course...

The policy will be to do as much in public as possible. It makes
things a lot easier (easier to organise free resources and no privacy
issues), it will make collaboration during the course easier, and will
serve as a useful record for running future courses. If you want to do
the course but don't want people to know that you are, I suggest using
a pseudonym up front.

Anyway, all are welcome to join the chat group, whether to
subsequently do the course, or just to ride along and see what's
happening, I don't mind. We may very well organise a separate group
specifically for people doing 6.001, but that can be decided on list.

Feel free to forward this message anywhere you like. If you think you
know someone who might enjoy doing this course in concert with others,
please let them know. There is no limit on the number of people who
can do this, and I think the more we have the better, so please feel
free to spam everyone you know, even to the detriment of your social
relationships. Or, if you have ideas about online groups who might be
interested, and don't want to do the communicating, let me know and
I'll do it.

Thanks very much for putting up with my cross posting, and I'll see
some of you on the new group.

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related