[ExI] FW: how the hell did this happen?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 02:59:47 UTC 2009

2009/1/18 spike <spike66 at att.net>:

> If the child "protective" service ever shows up at your house, do not let
> them into your home, do not allow them to stay on your property, do not let
> them talk to your children, disregard their threats, take your chances with
> the American legal system.

I don't know what the actual laws are in each state, but as a
practical point it would be pretty silly if child protective services
didn't have the right to ask for police assistance if they were
politely asked to leave.

I am quite often in the position of having to make a notification to
protective services in the Australian state where I work regarding
mentally ill parents who are my patients. It's a very difficult job:
on the one hand it's a terrible thing to take someone's child away, or
even to suggest that they may not be a fit parent, but on the other
hand you don't want to be responsible for allowing neglect or
sometimes outright physical abuse. It's an especially sensitive topic
in Australia due to the so-called "Stolen Generation", where
Aboriginal children last century were forcibly removed from their
families by government
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generation).

--
Stathis Papaioannou