[ExI] consciousness and perception

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 21:11:28 UTC 2009

At 12:27 PM 1/24/2009 -0700, Brent wrote:

>in addition to these behavioral properties, something about atoms
>also has phenomenal qualities like red, green, the taste of
>salt....  Very different than behavioral properties.  The atoms
>don't generate subjectivity, they simply have the phenomenal
>qualities subjectivity is made of.

NO NO NO NO. I don't think even Chalmers claims that (but maybe he
does, he says a lot of strange things). Do you really suppose that
the carbon and other atoms in a working cow muscle have *intrinsic*
"leggish" phenomenal qualities that mysteriously morph into "yuckish
rotten" phenomenal qualities if the steak is left out for the maggots
to get at? Or is that too high-level? But there is no red-ness,
either, in atoms, any more than there is yummy-ness or barf-ness.

Omg, I'm agreeing with John Clark!

Damien Broderick