[ExI] Markets and slaves

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jan 31 01:52:32 UTC 2009

and speaking of slavery:

<http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/3010/slavery.htm>

<The Emancipation Proclamation may have been one of the great
landmarks in American history, but it was also the cause for perhaps
the greatest instantaneous loss of property in American history, in
terms of the wealth of the day.  The first time I saw a tax roll for
a Florida county, I was shocked at the value placed on slaves.   Five
hundred dollars each was about minimum, and it was not uncommon to
value some slaves at $1,000 or more.   This was a time when land
could be purchased from the Federal government for $1.25 per acre,
and in some cases for as little as 12.5 cents per acre.   One slave
was worth as much as hundreds and even thousands of acres of land. >

<To put the economic importance of slaves in West Florida into
perspective, let's look at the 1863 Walton County tax roll.   The
total of the property values in the county was distributed as follows:

                                              Real
                                              Farm
                                              Money and notes.............11%
                                              Other personal property...6%