[ExI] No need for radical changes in human nature/was Re:Private and government R&D

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 04:53:15 UTC 2009

2009/7/4 Henrique Moraes Machado <cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com>:
> Stathis Papaioannou> As for changing their brains to make themselves less
> aggressive, I am
>>
>> hopeful that given the ability to make such changes, more people would
>> in fact choose to do this rather than make themselves more aggressive.
>
> Our western culture rewards the aggressive. Doesn´t it?
> Once we have this ability to change our brain more directly, wouldn't we
> choose to become more aggressive to become more successful? Or will our
> society change before we have that ability? Sincerely I don't see it
> happening..

Actually aggression is almost universally condemned. Even the
aggressive try to justify their behaviour so as to make out that they
were provoked, that any rational peace-loving person would have acted
similarly under the circumstances. If you are not inclined to assault
and rob people because you think it's wrong you are not likely to
modify your brain so that you become so inclined. On the other hand,
if you are inclined to such behaviour can modify your brain so that
you get at least as much pleasure and satisfaction from a socially
acceptable activity, such as working, you might decide to make the
change, even if only to avoid getting into trouble.

--
Stathis Papaioannou