[ExI] constitution amendments, was: iranian riots all a huge mistake

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 00:18:45 UTC 2009

2009/7/19 Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:52 PM, spike<spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>>...  I do consider it a valuable
>> demonstration to the US government, a reminder that the military vows to
>> uphold the constitution, and part of their duty is to remove any president
>> that steps outside its limits.
>
> Yo, spike,
>
> Are you suggesting that the US military has such a duty?  I'm no
> constitutional scholar, but the only relevant factoids I know of vis a
> vis the pres and the military is that on one hand he's the CinC whom
> all military personnel must obey, and though military personnel are
> supposed to refuse to obey unlawful orders, this almost never happens
> because rule number one is instant unquestioned obedience.
>
> It's the congress's duty to do the removing via the impeachment
> process, and we've seen how well that works.

If the President does not uphold the Constitution then Congress should
impeach him.
If Congress does not uphold the Constitution the Supreme Court can
overturn laws passed by Congress.
If the Supreme Court misbehaves the judges can be impeached by Congress.
And if the Supreme Court and Congress are in conflict, then it's up to
the Military to decide who is right.

--
Stathis Papaioannou