[ExI] The Death Toll Imbalance in the Mideast War

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 11:05:04 UTC 2009

2009/6/10 John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>:
> The Republicans are very good at manipulating the so-called Middle America
> through false patriotism and religious appeals, as we have discussed here
> before.

Yet, this is AFAIK a neocon turn, American wars after the Secession
War having usually been started by Democratic administrations...

> The U.S. was facing the possibility of a hundred thousand casualties if we
> did a massive invasion of the Japanese home islands.  And so nukes were used
> to quickly bring Japan's government to their knees.

One wonders how many Japanese casualties a massive invasion of the US
without making use of nukes would have costed... Do you think this
would have justified the vaporisation, of say, San Francisco and San
Diego? Just wondering...

> And as for Iraq, they needed regime change...

This is the most incredibly blunt affirmation of universal
jurisdiction ever made. If Stalin ever made such a claim with respect
to the US, it would have faced an indignant reaction, and *not* on the
basis of the possible wrongness of his opinion, but rather on the
obvious ingerence in American internal affars.

> And so for you you, Stathis, to actually suggest the Stalin-like regime
> of Iraq had the right to nuke the U.S. since we used nukes on Japan, when
> Japan deserved it, is to show your moral bankruptcy and plain stupidity.

What about the bankruptcy of the common courtesy rule of discussing
the merits of one's positions without drawing inferences as to his or
her essential depravity? :-)

--
Stefano Vaj