[ExI] We just got harder to find

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 13:28:06 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 6/13/09, John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> If ET exists it will be harder for
> him to detect a civilization on Earth now than it was 24
> hours ago. The reason is that today every analog TV station
> in the USA will be permanently shut off; the digital
> transmitter replacements are far less powerful.

I was wondering about too.  Many years ago I saw some sort of EMF map of the Earth showing the planet as hot as a star in some parts of the spectrum.  I'm not sure if this is true, but I wonder if any more recent maps show a similar energy distribution.  In particular, I wonder if the overall amount of energy being radiated to space on various parts of the spectrum have increased despite switching to digital, etc.  It might still be because the number of sources might be increasing -- even if each source is lower in power and data rate per unit of energy is much higher.

Regards,

Dan