[ExI] H+ Healthcare

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 23:07:39 UTC 2009

2009/6/23 <natasha at natasha.cc>

> Today my 91 year old mother is having cataract surgery.  It is not a simple procedure because she should have had this surgery done 6 or more years ago.  Her former eye doctor never told her how bad it had gotten because of her elderly age. He assumed that she is too old for surgery.  However, her current doctor recognizes my mother?s vibrant, youthful attitude and is performing the surgery.
>
> I bring this up because if we have a universal healthcare, how will elderly people be handled? Will they be considered too old to repair?
>
> In the radio this morning, I listened to a discussion about a Canadian over 70 who had to wait 3 years for heart surgery.  Another instance, (country unknown) after the age of 65, some medical interventions are not covered/provided.  I faced this type of rigorous cut-off line when I tried to get infertility aid in my mid-40s.  Because I was over 42 (the cut-off age for infertility coverage), I could not get help from the HMO insurance I was using at that time.  I had to pay out-of-pocket thousands of dollars.
>
> As transhumanists, we desire to long, vital lives.  How will a new healthcare system?s across-the-board set of rules affect us?  Would our coverage expire at nature?s suggested human lifespan of 123-max?  Would those who do live longer than a considered the norm have to fend for themselves, outside of the system?

There will always be *some* form of rationing, whether it is based on
wealth, need, age or some other factor, since health funding is not
infinite. In general public health systems do not discriminate on the
basis of age because taxpayers are opposed to such discrimination.
There is rationing for such things as ICU beds and heart transplants,
but this is an exception. On the other hand, an unregulated private
health insurance system might force huge premiums on the very old,
since they are obviously at higher risk of using medical services.

--
Stathis Papaioannou