[ExI] Propaganda - What is truth?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 00:54:49 UTC 2009

On 6/27/09, Jeff Davis wrote:

>  "What surrounds us...is a vast tapestry of lies..."
>                                            Harold Pinter

This is a big subject.

I read widely from sources that over time I have found to be pretty reliable.

Most people read stuff that agrees with their prejudices. (Me too!)
But I have tried to make my prejudices align with what actually
happens in the world rather than fitting events into a biased
theology. This is not something that can be done quickly. It takes
years sometimes to gradually realize that unexpected events happening
mean that your expectations were wrong and need to be changed.
The world has to be the driver, not your wished-for beliefs.

It doesn't mean that leftish rants are always to be preferred. There
is just as much propaganda from the left as from the right. There are
a few people or organizations that try to see through the clutter and
the secret is to find them. Some have rightish tendencies and some
have leftish. The political stance is not the important factor.
You can allow for that.

Obviously they sometimes make mistakes as well. Nobody's perfect. But
your own experience plays into the story as well. Age helps. When
you've seen the same scams done 20 years ago, it helps to see through
them when they come round again.

BillK