[ExI] What is Grace?

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 00:34:23 UTC 2009

2009/3/10 spike <spike66 at att.net>:

>> ...On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou
>>
>> FWIW the Germans in WWII also tried to be "ethical", for the
>> most part following the Geneva Convention regarding treatment
>> of prisoners of war etc. Even the gas chambers were devised
>> as a humane solution for the Jewish problem, in the same way
>> that US states which execute prisoners today try to convince
>> themselves that they are not carrying out "cruel and unusual
>> punishment". The enemy are scum and probably deserve to die,
>> but because we are so noble we will spare them when we can
>> and kill them kindly when we must.
>> --
>> Stathis Papaioannou
>

> Stathis, was this really necessary?  Are you telling me you don't get the
> difference between a condemned murderer and Jewish citizens?  Or was this a
> joke that fell flat, some kind of parody or something?
>
> I haven't read the responses yet, but I fear I shall hafta do some
> moderating to quiet the outrage, perhaps kill this thread.  We haven't had
> to do that for a long time here.  Do read over what you posted, think about
> it and offer a commentary if you wish.
>
> spike

Hold on there Spike. Many of us do believe that killing criminals is
wrong. I think there is a moral difference between what the Nazis did
and killing people as part of the justice system, but both of these
things are way out past the "do not cross this line" line, as far as
I'm concerned.

>From the perspective of a group that cares about indefinite life
extension, might we view putting others to death as an act of
unjustifiable hubris?

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related