[ExI] global warming again.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 11:33:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>wrote:

> If we don't do something peak energy may kill that many.  Global
> warming probably happens well after.

In that case, most of the billions would probably accept a very marginal
increase in their chances to get cancer, or whatever other adverse effect
temporary Project Orion vehicles launches might generate...

But I did take a look at the wiki article.  If half of the largest one
> is payload, then one launch puts up 4 million kg.  The throughput of
> the suborbital rocket and laser system puts up about this much in 4
> years.  So the two transport systems are not that far apart.  A 4 GW
> laser is one ton of TNT per second.

Possibly. Let's say however that Project Orion vehicles were already
feasible, in principle, with the technology of the sixties, while I do not
exactly know in which dept store I can get 4GW lasers, or if my power
company is in a position to provide the juice to operate them to residential
users... :-)

--
Stefano Vaj