[ExI] the Battlestar Galactica series finale

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Mar 21 19:22:49 UTC 2009

At 03:15 PM 3/21/2009 -0400, Dave Sill wrote:

>Regarding the finale, I'm still trying to fit all the pieces together,
>but I do think the resolution was nicely transhumanistic.

Really? The NYT review notes:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/arts/television/21batt.html?_r=1&th&emc=th>

The humans have been worshiping multiple deities, but the
longstanding battle between monotheism and polytheism is irrelevant,
Gaius warns his adversary in philosophical summation.

"Whether we want to call that God or Gods or some sublime inspiration
or a divine force that we can't know or understand doesn't matter,"
he says. "God is a force of nature beyond good and evil."

Atheism is the real enemy of mankind's progress; salvation seems to
lie in a vague belief in angels and higher powers, as if the series
thought of itself as a promotional appendage of Alcoholics Anonymous.