[ExI] punishment

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Mar 24 08:23:10 UTC 2009

Damien wrote

> At 07:12 PM 3/23/2009 -0400, John K Clark wrote:
>
>> it's
>> just a pity that nobody offered me the job of being the one and only true
>> God

I'd vote for you in a millisecond. If only John K Clark
were God. Wow! No more children dying in hideous pain in the
cancer war. No more unemployment; no more migraine headaches
for anyone; no more national debt. (Of course, not even God
could stop congressional corruption, bribes to campaign
contributions, and pure graft... but the effects on the
rest of us would be insignificant with a real determined
God, like John, getting in there and kicking butt.)

> > I'd have beaten the crap out of that young punk Yahweh.

Yay! That particular petty and vindictive ancient tyrant
did need rehabilitation, which, as God, you would be able
to effect.

Damien:

> Yes indeed. Something I try to urge on people who revere "ancient
> teachings" and "ancient wisdom" makes the same point: Yahweh was an
> *early, primitive* god, and the wise men and women of ancient India,
> China and Greece represent *young punks offering mostly uninformed
> guesses* about almost everything they address that isn't still
> self-evident and uncontroversial.

Quite right. But maybe I'm missing something. Shouldn't
that be past tense? I.e., "the wise men... *were* young
punks offering mostly uniformed guesses"?

Lee