[ExI] the Battlestar Galactica series finale

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:02:36 UTC 2009

2009/3/24 Henrique Moraes Machado (CI) <cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com>:

> If you think nature as the simulated universe in BSG, then the ultimate
> explanation IS in fact supernatural, isn't it?
> To BSG's humans and cylons it is.
> But to outside viewers, that final scene pretty much gives it up.
> That's my interpretation (for I have no way to know what the writers really
> were thinking). For those simulated beings, there's no other way than the
> supernatural explanation. It all depends on where you place your POV.

There is nevertheless a distinction between fantasy and science
fiction, and religion is a subset of the former, not the latter. It
totally changes the story for me if the same wildly implausible events
are attributed to a magic rather than a mysterious natural cause, and
I count being in a simulation as a natural cause.

--
Stathis Papaioannou