[ExI] punishment

Dagon Gmail dagonweb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 11:21:14 UTC 2009

> > A good animal is rewarded because its behaviours is valued as good from
> his
> > master.
>
> Yes, not very differently from the reasons why you reward human beings
> whose behaviours you value...
>
> > Why I must save a Ted Bundy, risking he kill, rape or do other mayhem
> again
> > against another fellow human when I can let him die?
> > Why I must let my dog die when I know it could help and protect me or
> > another fellow human?
> > Why I must exchange the first with the latter?
>
> Rhetorical questions that I can hardly offer an answer to, given that
> I have just said that I am in agreement with you. ;-)
>
> > Who is the neighbour? Ted Bundy or my dog?
>
> The dog, obviously. But I am not just referring to people you have an
> active dislike for. Indifference works alike, especially when empathy
> - which is necessarily a matter of degree - has no opportunity to kick
> in.

I am changing my mind.

I am cautiously considering the idea that *a very humane type of euthanasia*
OR
* offering the convict an incapacitating wireheading treatment* (choice of
the criminal)
is preferable over life imprisonment. Humane treatment is the first
consideration -
cost efficiency is a second(ary) consideration.I think that any criminal who
spends
over 5 years (or so) should be offered either option, no waiting time,
treatment
occurs on request within a brief waiting period. Euthanasia should be
extremely
painless and devoid of any type of force, threat or torture. I assume that a
wirehead
will slowly die over the period of weeks to months if he doesn't receive
frequent care
(washing, feeding, etc).

Come to think of it, I think the state should offer this to *anyone*, under
the same
conditions.