[ExI] The sky is falling!

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 03:53:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Stathis Papaioannou
<stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> It still amounts to an argument that the belief the world votes for is
> probably the correct belief, which I don't think you really agree
> with.

### I would still insist that treating futures traders seriously does
not entail having to treat theists seriously - these are different
herds altogether, and I approach them using completely different
chains of reasoning.

If I have no first-hand experience in a field, I am perforce relying
on others to form opinions, and the trick to know the truth is to
choose your authorities wisely. I know that talk is cheap but most
people are careful about their money, which is why I treat seriously
those who put money at risk in a way that tightly binds economic
outcomes to correct predictions, which in turn rely on accurate
knowledge of the present. I do not put much trust in armchair
geologists who indulge in inconsequential venting. I do not believe
"the world" to be correct, rather I carefully choose who to believe,
based on my knowledge of human nature.

I reject popular opinions about the existence of deities by a
different analysis - do I need to belabor it here?

Rafal