[ExI] Worshiping that Divine Blowhard

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 05:10:08 UTC 2009

Lee Corbin wrote:
You said it! If God exists, he is not good (and, as you know,
if God is good, then he does not exist). I've quite had my
fill of children dying in prolonged and excruciating pain
in the cancer wards.

There indeed is something sick about worship period. Worship?
No modern person with any sense of good taste whatsoever
surely can said a good word for it. The very idea!

And to *worship* a being---or pretend to---simply because
he'll see to it that you go to hell if you don't, well
words hardly suffice.

But they do, barely. If there was such a petty tyrranical
all-knowing being that runs *everything*, okay, I'm on
my needs however many times a week He wants. Now, if He
were just Good, it might even be entirely worth it! (I'm
not too proud to worship if the alternatives are worse.)

I prefer the Mormon concept of God as our literal Father in Heaven.  "As *
man* is, *God* once was; *as God is, man may become*."  And so life is
viewed as a sort of divine boot camp to test people, and those who choose to
love and serve their Heavenly Father will in time become gods themselves,
creating worlds and peopling them with their own children.

John