[ExI] Group Selection Advances

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri May 1 19:59:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> But these ways did *not* include group selection.
> So does group selection exist, or not?
>
> Of course, humans hardly need such genes for group
> selection, since memes serve so much more powerfully.

In fact, most of the debate is concerned with our own, somewhat
"special", position.

I think it is best however to examine first the issue in general
terms, temporarily excluding whatever might be peculiar to the human
species from the tableau, since this ends up clarifying issues which
have a broader interest *and* remain relevant for our own case -
irrespective of the addenda and qualifications that may concern only
us.

I will read with interest the material at the link indicated, and for
the time being much of what I know and find more persuasive on the
subject is related either to gene selection (sociobiologists' main
explanation of altruism in nature) or to game theory.

--
Stefano Vaj