[ExI] Group Selection Advances

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri May 1 21:00:06 UTC 2009

At 09:13 PM 4/30/2009, Lee quoted from:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_selection
>
>"The problem with group selection is that for a whole group to get a
>single trait, it must spread through the whole group first by
>regular evolution. But, as J. L. Mackie suggested, when there are
>many different groups, each with a different Evolutionarily Stable
>Strategy (ESS), there is selection between the different ESSs, since
>some are worse than others[20]. For example, a group where altruism
>arose would outcompete a group where every creature acted in its own interest."

The last sentence is not true, because creatures *DO NOT* act in
their own self interest.  They act in the self interest of their
genes.  Most of the time that *looks* like self interest.  Then along
comes a situation where it is clear that the interest of the creature
and it's genes have diverged--and the genes dictate the response.

If you have been listening to me in the last few years at all, you
can plug in the common examples I have used.  If you have not and
don't want to look in the archives, ask.

Keith