[ExI] Group Selection Advances

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri May 1 22:43:12 UTC 2009

At 03:14 PM 5/1/2009 -0700, Keith wrote:
>>[BillK:]
>>Isn't this disproved by the falling birth rates in first world societies?
>
>No.  The only thing this shows is a temporary mismatch between the
>environment (including culture as environmental element) and the genes.
>>
>>Surely it isn't in the self interest of the genes to reduce reproduction?
>
>Never.  By definition.

And hence, by definition, an appeal to the "self interest" of genes
alone is insufficient. Keith, you're a meme guy. Calling culture an
"environmental element" is dangerously simplistic. Culture is a
turbulent memetic structure instantiated inside the phenotypes that
are the cutting surface of selection, and distributed across mutually
reachable phenotypes. So a gene-set builds a brain that hosts and
expresses a mishmash of memes at various levels of abstraction and
power and persistence, and that creates a Baldwin effect that helps
shape the genomes of subsequent generations, so we're always talking
about *co*-evolutionary elements and sets. I wouldn't be surprised if
something like Benford's datavores and kenes (see THE SPIKE) already
traverse the computational cloud of contiguous minds that can
communicate and manipulate and reward each other. "National
character" might be a first crude approximation at identifying such
hypermind entities, and scientific paradigms and warrior faiths might
be two more classes.

Just musing...

Damien Broderick