[ExI] intolerant minds, a different flavor

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun May 3 19:35:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> Strategically, do you think that it is a good idea
> to prohibit reasoned attacks on religion, insults
> of races, religions, or the Mayor's daughter?
> Where do you draw the line?
>
> And beyond strategy, where in a free society do
> you draw the line ethically?

What can be said is that for any doom-monger's assumption that unless
free speech is limited on a given subject society would collapse, it
is easy enough to offer example where societies managed to a
reasonable extent to thrive in spite of the fact that the "necessary"
prohibition was not in place.

All in all, I think that most limitations to free speech are very hard
to justify on empirical grounds. Not to mention on political terms for
any political regime that claims to be based on informed consensus.

--
Stefano Vaj