[ExI] libertarians and inheritance

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Fri May 8 14:38:05 UTC 2009

Il 04/05/2009 0.22, Damien Broderick ha scritto:

The problem with inheritance is the problem with gifts.
If we ban inheritance we must ban gifts.
Gifts are unearned, so they must be wrong as inheritances, I suppose.
But welfare is, in essence, a gift. An gift paid by mostly unwilling people.

Rich people have not a problem to pass the large part of their wealth to
their heirs bypassing laws. The inheritance laws hit the poor or the
middle class proportionally more or the unlucky rich that die prematurely.

People, usually, don't work so hard only for themselves, but also for
their offspring. You take away the inheritance and they will stop
working so much and will start to consume more or work less, or will
find a way to pass their wealth to their heirs anyway.

Mirco