[ExI] puzzler

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat May 9 21:07:34 UTC 2009

I am so in awe of myself.  The Click and Clack radio show has a weekly
puzzler, and this week's is terrific.  I figured it out.  I suspect even the
monster brains on this forum will not get it.  Here it is:

"I was hired to build a cabin in the woods 20 miles from civilization, so I
set off early one morning before sunrise. And because there was no
electricity at the site I brought along my generator, radio, etc. I also
packed an extension cord, my electric drill and the bits, and my socket and
wrench set. When I was finished for the day, I tried to leave but my battery
was dead. I had left my lights on all day.

"I look behind the driver's seat and I find the following items: jumper
cables, a roll of duct tape and a quart of Fillipo Berio Extra Virgin Olive
Oil. By this time it's getting dark, the coyotes are howling and the
buzzards are circling.

"If only there was a way to get power from the generator which is making 110
volts AC and get that into my dead battery, which is 12 volts DC. The
question is: how can I do it with only the items at my disposal?"

I nailed it because of something I discovered during my misspent youth.  The
answer will be given on the Car Talk show tomorrow.  I will post the answer
later today.  Any guesses?