[ExI] puzzler

David C. Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com
Sun May 10 01:05:40 UTC 2009

You know how to challenge us!

OK, some generators have a 12 volt DC output that could be carried to
the battery directly.  I have such a generator in my back yard storage,
thanks to Enron's fraud that made me think that shortages of 110 juice
would be a frequent occurrence in California.

But assuming this generator was not so equipped, I'd take the
generator's 110 AC thru the extension cord to the electric drill with a
big drill and some little ones jammed into the square drive side of a
socket so the drill's rotation would drive the nut that holds the pulley
that is bolted to the CAR's generator or alternator.  Loosen the
generator or alternator drive belt so  you're just turning the pulley
that makes 12V for the car battery.  Disconnect the battery positive,
temporarily, from devices that might deplete the stream of entering 12V
power.

There is some remote chance that the carboxylic acid(s) in the olive oil
would orient (because carboxylic acids have a positive end and a
hydrophobic oily chain) in contact with the battery acid and act as some
sort of diode, allowing more electrons to move in one direction than the
other direction of the 110 alternating current.  Different numbers of
electrons makes a DC current in one direction.  I'd do the drill method
before Googling on the electrical properties of olive oil and acids.

How'd I do?

  - David Harris, Palo Alto