[ExI] puzzler

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun May 10 05:08:54 UTC 2009

Excellent!  David after I saw your post I realized this might work, so there
are two different ways to sleep that night in a warm bed instead of a cold
truck.  Your idea is one: remove the alternator belt and rig the drill to
spin the alternator.  Here's what I thought:

Recall that hand drills are variable speed devices, using a potentiometer in
the trigger.  In my misspent youth, I found an old drill in the trash,
plugged it in, didn't work, took it apart and noticed that it was a DC
motor.  It had a rectifier circuit going to the potentiometer in the trigger
and that output going to brushes in the motor.  So I reasoned I should be
able to run the drill motor off of a car batter by taking out the rectifier
and putting in 12 volts just upstream of the trigger potentiometer.  Works
great.  So store this away: if you are away out in the hootnannies with no
electric power but have the usual tools one carries in a take-along tool
bag, and you need to drill a hole in something, remember you can splice in
ahead of the trigger and run your hand drill off your car battery.

So I reasoned that if a drill can run off of a battery, then a battery can
run off of a drill.  So I would remove the drill motor brushes, attach the
jumper cables to the car battery, take about a 10 amp fuse from something
non-critical, put it in series, then gradually pull the trigger until the
fuse burns out, lock the trigger in place right there, then connect it back
without the fuse and let the rectifier circuit in the drill charge the
battery.  With ten amps, the truck should start within an hour or two.

spike

  _____