[ExI] libertarians and inheritance

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon May 11 07:26:06 UTC 2009

At 11:38 PM 5/10/2009 -0700, Lee wrote:

>Ever thought about what our
>education system would look like in
>twenty-five years or so if completely
>privatized (with, vouchers, say, for
>the time being, utilized)? The innovations
>dreamed up, and the customization to
>particular kids would become extraordinary.

I don't have to imagine it, I was "schooled" in a series of working
class Catholic schools, paid for entirely privately, in the days
before the Australian electorate agreed to give Catholics back some
if not all the tax quantum they'd paid for education. Bad majority of
bigoted voters, yes. But the private "education" I got was appalling,
full of repression, ignorance and a measure of violence, sexually
weird (all boys' schools, e.g.), incompetent. It might be retorted,
"Oh, but look, you turned out okay, you have a doctorate and a bunch
of books to your name." Not because of those schools, trust me. I
turned out so academically fucked up at 17 that it took me 5 years to
not quite get a degree (I caught up eventually); when I entered
university I had *almost no cultural capital* outside a lot of rote
instantly forgotten principal-exports-of-Peru crap and Irish Catholic
godswallop. That's what "completely privatized" can do for a kid. At
the age of 12 I was being treated as if my IQ was 50 or 60 points
lower than it really was.

You can find awful tales of govt schools that are as dismal, I know.
Barbara spent some time teaching allegedly ineducable kids and did so
brilliantly with several of them that she was fired by the slackarse
incumbents. It's a crap shoot, maybe. How marvelous to be raised in a
$cientology school, say, or a madras. Right, so much more liberating
than those statist govt schools.

Damien Broderick