[ExI] libertarians and inheritance

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:18:31 UTC 2009

On 5/11/09, Lee Corbin wrote:
>  I understand. But of course, so far as private
>  schools went, the Catholics had a near monopoly.
>  It was a part of being a good Catholic, I imagine,
>  to even pay the extra of having your kids educated
>  there.
>
>  That bears little resemblance to what I'm talking
>  about. To be sure, though, there are no guarantees.
>
>  But a true market place, where some kid repeatedly
>  doesn't do well or work out at some schools  provides
>  a "market opportunity" for entrepreneurs.

"Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man" is the
motto of the Jesuits. Jesuit schools are usually boarding schools to
reduce the influence of parents and the outside world.

From:  <http://www.jesuit.org/JesuitSchools/default.aspx>
Jesuit schools constitute one of the most effective forms for the
apostolic activity of the Society of Jesus in the United States.
Jesuits and their colleagues educate over 46,000 young men and women
each year at 71 secondary or pre-secondary schools in 25 states

The trouble with a 'market' in schools is that there is no standard to
check them by. Every crazy group will have their own schools. Even
'good' schools will be sneaking in minor classes in creationism or
bomb-making or the art of shoplifting, and so on.

A 'market' has to have a minimum standard to attain and a supervisory
administration to stop wrong behavior. Just like any market, from
street markets to Wall Street (we can wish!).

BillK