[ExI] Throwing money at education (was: libertarians and inheritance)

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue May 12 15:20:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 02:50:27AM -0400, John K Clark wrote:
> "Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>
>
>> I know, I know. It's scandalous how much is just thrown away educating
>> young humans
>
> You are absolutely correct! The dreadful Washington DC public schools spend
> $13,330 per student per year, think of a private school that charged that,
> which school do you think would be superior?

False comparison; the private school would refuse to take a lot of the
public school students.  Easy to get good results when you can
cherry-pick.

Not that there might not also be a lot of waste in poorly supervised
public systems, but they have to take all the special-needs students
(learning disabilities, behavior problems).

Not to mention the cultural and background differences between the
average DC family and the average family that can afford $13,000 a year.

-xx- Damien X-)