[ExI] seeking advice with a shipping problem

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu May 14 04:59:05 UTC 2009

Dear Extropes:

I'm selling my Australian house and about to move my personal library
from Melbourne, Australia, to San Antonio, Texas. A relative has been
kindly (and exhaustingly) packing up the roughly 5000 books into book
boxes, plus personal papers, and a few other not terrifically large
objects. My guess is that it might amount to half a 20' container or
maybe less.

I'm having trouble getting feedback from the shippers who advertise
online. I fill in their forms, send them off, and hear nothing back.
The only one who's been responsive to date is Grace Removals (an
Aussie company with international connections), and even they are
slow to reply and don't provide much information.

Anyone have suggestions based on their own transnational shipping
experience, even if it's not Australia or New Zealand=>USA?

Do such firms typically bring a container to the house and pack away
one's goodies on the spot? Is Customs, insurance and any other
paperwork done by the moving company? (If I were in Oz now I'd
probably do that myself, but alas I'm not.)

Mostly I want all this damned clutter out of the house ASAP, so the
place can be shown to potential purchasers without looking like a
madman's midden. How long the process takes after that is less
important; that is, I don't mind if my stuff is stored for a while
awaiting shipping, if that's cheaper.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks, folks.

Damien Broderick